Sunday, August 17, 2008

From Hyperthyroidism to Hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last November and this month, it was found out that my thyroid is underactive. My endocrinologists, Dr. Ma. Cecilla Gonzales advised me to take 20 mg of Methimazole Tapdin and after a few months, perhaps my thyroid activity went back to normal but because I was only advised to have the TSH and FT4 testing every three months, we were not able to monitor the changes over time. My medicine intake is now cut down to 5mg.

When I had hyperthyroidism, I get tired easily, lost a lot of weight and often experienced shortness of breath. The thermoregulation of my body was also abnormal, I felt so cold even when it is hot and I don't sweat at all. Recently, I still felt cold most of the time but I am gaining so much weight even when I eat less and I am lossing more or less 100 strands a day. I also had my menstruation twice this August and the blood flow was excessive.

We often neglect changes in our body, never bothering that it could be caused by disorders or diseases. I thought, my hair loss is only due to my last pregnancy or perhaps due to aging (I can't accept it!). It was my endocrinologist who told me that hair loss is due to hypothyroidism. Excessive sweating is also one symptom though, I feel the opposite.

So for any abnormal changes in your body, better seek medical help immediately.

2 comments:

Dinah said...

I too had a thyroid scare, but was lucky after getting normal TSH results!
Goodluck and may you have a much better health.

Russell Moris said...

For some individuals who are suffering from hypothyroidism, a strict and proper diet should be followed. Aside from taking desiccated bovine thyroid supplements , eating foods essential in iodine is important to improve thyroid gland functions.