Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mariel Got Her Hearing Aids!

I sure am a fast mover and I hate being idle and have time to wallow on depression and hopelessness. I am glad my mom is also a hyperactive and don't want any delays. She loaned us money at once (pay when able, no interest - sorry, that policy is exclusive to LIRA MARIEL, FRANCESCA KEIICHI AND RAE CLARENCE, my nephew). Also, Tita Carol and Lola Chit sent more for this month to cover Mariel's expenses.

Mariel got her hearing aids from Ear Diagnostics Inc. in Taft. Thanks to Ms. Ruby for assisting us. Mariel was able to detect the LRT noise, clapping sound and her name. She did panned her head when Ms. Ruby called her name from behind!

I chose Ear Diagnostics because they offer a much cheaper brand of hearing aid. The audiologists from Manila Hearing Aid and Better Hearing explained to me that brand doesn't matter anyway so I did look for more affordable ones. EDI is also affiliated with EMBRACE Hearing and Speech Rehab Center and I had Mariel wait-listed for evaluation. The earlier the detection and intervention, the better the result of course so why wait, right? Also, EMBRACE offers Home Program for those who cannot visit the center often. Their Speech Pathologists are also extending help by referring their colleagues who are near our area. Maybe after the evaluation, I could also contact SPED schools near us who could refer Speech Paths and who knows, in a month or two, I could role-release already.

Mariel is still adjusting with her hearing aids and I hope it will really facilitate her holistic development. Thanks again for everyone - we could repay the amount loaned and services you offered but the effort and prayers, the moral and emotional support you've given us will never be compensated with any amount.

I just wanna share this message I got from Ayel recently, a fellow alumni-member of UP SMMART whom I never met personally yet but would always call and text me to show how much she really care:

"I asked for STRENGTH, and God gave me DIFFICULTIES to make me STRONG.
I asked for WISDOM, and God gave me PROBLEMS to SOLVE.
I asked for LOVE, and God gave me TROUBLED to HELP.
I asked for COURAGE, and God gave me DANGER to OVERCOME.
I asked for PROSPERITY, and God gave me BRAINS and SKILLS to WORK.
I asked for FAVORS, and God gave me OPPORTUNITIES...
I RECEIVED NOTHING I WANTED but received EVERYTHING I NEEDED."

Here's a glimpse of Iel in her HA.

It's a Behind-the-ear digital HA (Rexton/Siemens). It is even bigger than her ears :-) but she cannot use those inserted onces yet because her ear canals are still getting bigger. She will have her first test three months from now but she can have evaluation with the speech pathologist anytime soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my prayers are always with mariel & your family.. keep the faith! tc and God bless! :)