Wednesday, June 18, 2008

UP Centennial Celebration - Congrats mga Isko at Iska!

GMA 7's morning show Unang Hirit is having their Reyna ng Kalsada segment in UP Diliman. I just miss my alma mater and memories are beginning to rush again. Actually, I've been there yesterday to arrange something with PNB but I was not able to see the Oblation Run - this time, it was held around the Academic Oval and not within the Palma Complex (Whew! that around2.5 km-nude-running). I wish I am there today for the motorcade but I am not in the mood anyway. It is also Laguna Day today, so my child Keiichi don't have her classes - it's Jose Rizal's birthday. It's just the right time for us to catch up on our sleep so I let her and Keiichi stay late in bed.

When I saw the UP Centennial Shirt worn by one of the students when I got my transcript in January, I promised myself to save for it and gotcha! I had it in February. Its only P175 and as most UP Shirts, it was made by Maroons. I've first worn it when I went to Pangasinan in February and brought it in Singapore and wore it on when we watched the Airshow.

What do I really miss in UP? Oh a lot! Almost all places there held memories - whom I was with, wat I was doing and what I felt. I'll post my past blog here why the Main Library is what I treasure the most. Actually, I could stay there until it closes at 12 midnight. Of course, the College of Education is my home and I also miss the College of Science which accepted me as freshie hehe and of course, Kalayaan Residence Hall - the dormitory exclusive for freshmen. Kalai was where I learned how to live away from my grannies, brother, cousins, aunts and uncles. I was glad Aunt Rose, Papa's sister just lived beside Kalai, Sanggumay Residence Hall (women residence, mostly taking post gradate courses), so it was like I was not alone because I could go to her place anytime. I made new friends there and they have made my UP life a really fun one.

I miss the places where I ate there. I miss Somos' chicken meals. They would serve us chicken almost everyday in Kalai hehe but nevertheless, their people were really nice to me. I miss the Isawan in Kalai which is just beside the post office. On Sundays, I would just have chicken gizard, some bbq and chicken intestines (isaw!) and rice from the UP Coop. (Somos don't serve us meal on Sundays) I miss the "chao fan" or mixed rice in CS Canteen. If I was really hungry and would want a full meal that is cheap, I would go to Aristocart in Engg Building and I am now missing their bistek tagalog and sweetened banana. I also ate in CASAA especially when I was already in Educ since most the time, the meals in Educ Canteen and infront of Narra Residence Hall were already sold out when I had my break.

I also dined in the Thai Canteen with some of my NEC friends which was located near Romulo Hall and in an exotic canteen near the pool area with my Aunt Rose. They served us something with Ox brain. I also tried FC Canteen and those Ilocano folks made me miss home and think of my Nanay Lydia and Tatay Romeo because they're the only ones that serve dinengdeng.

UP life won't be complete without eating fishballs in SC, Fine Arts (that was when I was working as student assistant in Diliman Information Office), Vinzons, FC and in a lot more places different places inside the campus I could no longer remember. Back in 2003 - 2004, the monay was really hot and they only had cheese as filling. In my last visit in FC, they have various fillings for the monay already. Oh my fave footlong hotdog sandwich! How could I forget it! It is still sold between FC and Chem building.

I've discovered pinipig pandan flavored only when I was reviewing for LET in UP Alumni Hostel. Also, only that time that I was able to eat in the canteen beside the bowling center, to think that I had bowling for a semester!

Chocolate Kiss!!! I just love thi coño place but honestly, its not that expensive. I thought it was so expensive so I did not even try to eat there when I was a student but when I was alreay working and taking my post-grad in UPOU, I tried dining there with my classmate and friend Mae Rosalinas. I just can't forget their Chicken Alfredo and carrot cake! I've also tried their blueberry cheesecake and it was way better than that of Red Ribbon. It's my taste bud speaking so don't argue with me hehehe So now when I wanna treat myself with a good meal and I have money, I would always go to Chocolate Kiss.

Food...food...food...Oh well, how about people that really helped me through? Let me try to remember some and try to shorten my list and present them on my next blog...

No comments: